The warmth of kitchen during this season
While Christmas may not be as extravagant in Portugal as in some other countries, the holiday holds a unique charm and significance. Portuguese Christmas traditions often emphasize family gatherings, festive meals, and the spirit of togetherness. The celebrations may be more subtle on the surface, but the warmth of shared moments and cultural traditions make Christmas in Portugal a special and intimate affair.
The warmth within Portuguese homes during the holidays extends to the kitchen, where special and unique recipes create an inviting atmosphere that fosters comfort and a sense of family togetherness. This culinary tradition adds a distinctive touch to the festive season, making it a time of shared flavors, cherished recipes, and the joy of coming together.
In fact, in Portugal, although Christmas Eve often features the star of the show – COD – enjoyed at dinner on the 24th, the traditional lunch on Christmas Day on the 25th is equally delicious, where dinner leftovers are used to make the so famous “old clothes”. This hearty and tasty meal reflects the country’s culinary traditions, showcasing the creativity and richness of Portuguese cuisine during the festive season.
Certainly! Here’s a simple recipe for a traditional Portuguese Christmas treat featuring cod:
Boiled Cod – Special for Christmas Eve
- 1 kg salted codfish (bacalhau)
- 1 kg potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 eggs
- 1 bunch of Portuguese greens (e.g., turnip greens or kale)
- Olive oil
- Garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the Cod:
- Soak the salted cod in cold water for at least 24 hours, changing the water several times.
- Cut the cod into large pieces.
- Boil the Cod:
- In a large pot, place the cod pieces and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil and let it simmer for about 20 minutes or until the cod is tender.
- Prepare the Vegetables:
- In a separate pot, boil the potatoes, carrots, and eggs until they are cooked but still firm.
- Steam the Portuguese greens until they are tender.
- In a large serving dish, arrange the boiled cod, potatoes, carrots, eggs, and steamed greens.
- Make the Sauce:
- In a pan, heat olive oil and sauté minced garlic until fragrant.
- Pour the garlic-infused oil over the cod and vegetables.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the Bacalhau Cozido hot.
This dish is a traditional and hearty option for a Portuguese Christmas meal, emphasizing the simplicity and natural flavors of the ingredients. Enjoy the wholesome goodness of Bacalhau Cozido with your loved ones!
What a wonderful idea! After savouring the delightful Boiled Cod, treat yourself and your family to a day of relaxation by booking an in-home SOKURA massage for the next day. Create a cozy and tranquil atmosphere, perhaps with some soothing background music and aromatic candles. It’s a perfect way to extend the festive spirit, unwind together, and make cherished memories during the holiday season. Enjoy the nourishing combination of good food and relaxation!